Wednesday, March 12, 2008



He scourged you for your iniquities, but will again have mercy on you all. He will gather you from all the Gentiles among whom you have been scattered. When you turn back to him with all your heart, to do what is right before him, Then he will turn back to you, and no longer hide his face from you. So now consider what he has done for you, and praise him with full voice. Bless the Lord of righteousness, and exalt the King of the ages. In the land of my exile I praise him, and show his power and majesty to a sinful nation. "Turn back, you sinners! do the right before him: perhaps he may look with favor upon you and show you mercy. "As for me, I exalt my God, and my spirit rejoices in the King of heaven. (Tobit 13: 5-7)

I often envision God as our dance partner. "When you turn back to him... he will turn back to you." God is deferring to our lead.

God can be like the most gentle of lovers, matching your move, responding to your sigh, waiting for your invitation. God will not insist.

God's eyes are as mirrors. In those eyes we perceive our true selves - and are attracted or repelled. But whatever we see, God has opened his arms to receive us.

Above is another rendering of Tobit's healing by Gerrit Willemsz Horst.

No comments: