Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rejoicing and praising God, Tobit went out to the gate of Nineveh to meet his daughter-in-law. When the people of Nineveh saw him walking along briskly, with no one leading him by the hand, they were amazed. Before them all Tobit proclaimed how God had mercifully restored sight to his eyes. When Tobit reached Sarah, the wife of his son Tobiah, he greeted her: "Welcome, my daughter! Blessed be your God for bringing you to us, daughter! Blessed are your father and your mother. Blessed is my son Tobiah, and blessed are you, daughter! Welcome to your home with blessing and joy. Come in, daughter!" That day there was joy for all the Jews who lived in Nineveh. Ahiqar and his nephew Nadab also came to rejoice with Tobit. They celebrated Tobiah's wedding feast for seven happy days, and he received many gifts. (Tobit 11: 16-18)

Part of the discipline I employ in these daily meditations is to resist reading ahead. I try to respond to the scripture as it unfolds, not with some preconceived outcome.

I have broken discipline to scan for something Sarah might say before we close this story. There is nothing.

The last we heard from Sarah was a shared "Amen" after Tobiah's wedding night prayer. Before that we heard her prayer for death.

How do we explain Sarah's silence?

Two biblical parallel's come to mind. There is the silence of another Sarah when Abraham leads Issac to sacrifice (Genesis 22) or, perhaps, the silence of nine lepers healed by Jesus (Luke 17).

My wife has suggested a male sexist author, which might be the best answer. I wonder about a lost chapter.

Could Sarah's silence suggest a continued struggle?

Success has its own challenges. Might Sarah be frightened? Are these sudden and miraculous changes simply too much for her?

When I encounter the grace of God I am as likely to look away as to embrace and proclaim it. Exposed to God I can be paralyzed in awe.

Dear God, give me the joy of Tobit.

The reference to Ahiqar and his nephew would have been well-known and evocative to contemporary readers. More is available from Early Jewish Writings.

No comments: