Friday, March 7, 2008

Raphael called the two men aside privately and said to them: "Thank God! Give him the praise and the glory. Before all the living, acknowledge the many good things he has done for you, by blessing and extolling his name in song. Before all men, honor and proclaim God's deeds, and do not be slack in praising him. A king's secret it is prudent to keep, but the works of God are to be declared and made known. Praise them with due honor. Do good, and evil will not find its way to you. (Tobit 12: 6-7)

Even before we thank God we must recognize our relationship with God and acknowledge the role of God in our lives.

When Tobit's blindness was healed he immediately proclaimed, "Blessed be God, and praised be his great name, and blessed be all his holy angels. May his holy name be praised throughout all the ages."

Some day soon I will have my cataracts removed. I will thank my physician. I might reflect on the benefits of modern medicine. Perhaps, with Tobit in mind, I may now thank God. Even now, however, I am unlikely to give thanks with the spontaneous passion that Raphael clearly intends.

Certainly I speak of God with others. I am doing so now.

But even Raphael calls Tobit and Tobiah aside privately. Only a very few join me in these studies and meditations. There is something of the sacred that seems very close to a natural secret.

I am in love with God. There is nothing more important. Nothing has more practical influence on my daily life. I acknowledge the great good that God has done me. I give God thanks and praise.

No comments: