Monday, February 25, 2008

But she retorted, "Stop it, and do not lie to me! My child has perished!" She would go out and keep watch all day at the road her son had taken, and she ate nothing. At sunset she would go back home to wail and cry the whole night through, getting no sleep at all. (Tobit 10: 7)

Too often I worry as did Anna. I assume the worst. Despite having no clear evidence of the worst, I decide all is lost.

But then I continue to look for evidence to contradict the worst. I keep watch for my own definition of success.

I am torn between my wants and my worries.

It would be healthier and more helpful to acknowledge both wants and worry, but to put both aside to keep a true watch.

What can be discerned? What is beyond discernment? Reinhold Niebuhr prayed, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

No comments: