Thursday, February 21, 2008

He asked his wife to bake many loaves of bread; he himself went out to the herd and picked out two steers and four rams which he ordered to be slaughtered. So the servants began to prepare the feast. He summoned Tobiah and made an oath in his presence, saying: "For fourteen days you shall not stir from here, but shall remain here eating and drinking with me; and you shall bring joy to my daughter's sorrowing spirit. Take, to begin with, half of whatever I own when you go back in good health to your father; the other half will be yours when I and my wife die. Be of good cheer, my son! I am your father, and Edna is your mother; and we belong to you and to your beloved now and forever. So be happy, son!" (Tobit 8:19-21)

To be vulgar, Tobiah has both the babe and the bucks and even more.

But this is supposedly a story of how God is responding to Tobit and Sarah.

So far Tobit knows nothing. His son might be dead along some mountain pass.

Sarah knows a bit more, but it is not surprising that she is still depressed.

We have read that the demon fled to Egypt where the angel bound him. Sarah only knows that her newest husband has survived one night.

We can see God acting through Tobias and Raphael. Tobit is blind. Sarah can only see a narrow field of view, the broader context is hidden from her.

What unexpected and unrecognized joy has God already set in motion for you and me?

No comments: