Sunday, January 27, 2008



"And now, son, I wish to inform you that I have deposited a great sum of money with Gabri's son Gabael at Rages in Media. Do not be discouraged, my child, because of our poverty. You will be a rich man if you fear God, avoid all sin, and do what is right before the Lord your God." (Tobit 4:20-21)

So far I perceive three ways to read the character of Tobit:

Straight: He is a spiritual everyman, trying to do his best, mostly kind and generous. But no great saint or sage. Tobit is an unconscious mix of self-interest and spiritual justification, divine will and self-will, truth and falsehood.

Comic: Tobit is a well-meaning, pious, hypocritical fool. He is his own worst enemy. He is trapped inside a religious illusion that regularly takes him down bizarre rabbit holes. Just when reality is right in front of him, he takes a sharp turn.

Tragic: He is a man of heroic spiriitual potential whose hubris is a persistent expectation that religious discipline will bring worldly success. Constantly looking for one sort of success, he is blind to a much greater treasure already at hand.

I can read my own life within similar frames. I suppose each frame overlaps with others depending on the situation.

Above is the Blind Tobit by Rembrandt.

No comments: