Monday, January 7, 2008

But a certain citizen of Nineveh informed the king that it was I who buried the dead. When I found out that the king knew all about me and wanted to put me to death, I went into hiding; then in my fear I took to flight. Afterward, all my property was confiscated; I was left with nothing. All that I had was taken to the king's palace, except for my wife Anna and my son Tobiah. (Tobit 1: 19-20)

Doing what is right can be risky. Seeking to know and do what God intends can be perceived by others as contentious.

To bury the dead is, in nearly every culture, a fundamental act of respect. When those in power - or seeking power - wish dehumanize enemies and terrorize potential adversaries they have often done so through public display of those executed.

This was one of the purposes of crucifixion.

Through stealth and cunning Tobit sought to do right and manage the personal risk. Wise as a fox, Jesus might say. But it is difficult to remove dead bodies from a public place in a great city and not be observed.

Tobit took a righteous risk and paid a material consequence.

No comments: