Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tobit asked, "Brother, tell me, please, what family and tribe are you from?" Raphael said: "Why? Do you need a tribe and a family? Or are you looking for a hired man to travel with your son?" Tobit replied, "I wish to know truthfully whose son you are, brother, and what your name is." Raphael answered, "I am Azariah, son of Hananiah the elder, one of your own kinsmen." Tobit exclaimed: "Welcome! God save you, brother! Do not be provoked with me, brother, for wanting to learn the truth about your family. So it turns out that you are a kinsman, and from a noble and good line! I knew Hananiah and Nathaniah, the two sons of Shemaiah the elder; with me they used to make the pilgrimage to Jerusalem, where we would worship together. No, they did not stray from the right path; your kinsmen are good men. You are certainly of good lineage, and welcome!" (Tobit 5: 11-14)

We want to know more than we need to know.

The "young man's" answer is sharp. He accuses Tobit of wanting more than he needs.

My wife and I were concerned about our son taking a job that might distract from his studies. He explained, without irony, that the job would give him money "for things I don't need." May he always be so self-aware.

The angel's response misleads, but it is not a lie. Azariah means God Helps. Hananiah means God is merciful. Nathaniah, God gives. Shemaiah, God hears.

This is all we need to know: God helps, God gives, God hears, and God is merciful.

No comments: