Thursday, January 24, 2008



Do not keep with you overnight the wages of any man who works for you, but pay him immediately. If you thus behave as God's servant, you will receive your reward. Keep a close watch on yourself, my son, in everything you do, and discipline yourself in all your conduct. (Tobit 4: 14)

My greatest professional frustration is delay. Today I am dealing with a client who is - again - late paying my organization.

The delay itself is less a concern than the client's silence. He did not warn us of the delay. He has not been proactive in communicating with us.

The client could pay us. Sufficient cash is available. But the client has not received funds designated for the work we performed. The client is protecting himself.

Too often in seeking our own advantage we put others at unnecessary disadvantage. We are each God's servant. Our role is to advance God's purposes, not our own.

Dear God, help me to see myself and my actions with your eyes. Assist me in choosing to do what you would choose.

Above is Rembrandt's depiction of the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard. The workers are being paid by the rich owner.

No comments: