Monday, January 28, 2008

Then Tobiah replied to his father Tobit: "Everything that you have commanded me, father, I will do. But how shall I be able to obtain the money from him, since he does not know me nor do I know him? What can I show him to make him recognize me and trust me, so that he will give me the money? I do not even know which roads to take for the journey into Media!" Tobit answered his son Tobiah: "We exchanged signatures on a document written in duplicate; I divided it into two parts, and each of us kept one; his copy I put with the money. Think of it, twenty years have already passed since I deposited that money! So now, my son, find yourself a trustworthy man who will make the journey with you. We will, of course, give him a salary when you return; but get back that money from Gabael." (Tobit 5: 1-3)

In both teaching and managing it is helpful to notice what prompts a question. When there is a question, there is curiousity, and with curiousity there is thinking.

If there are no questions I can usually be certain nothing has been learned or I am going to have a tough time achieving my management goals.

Tobit has offered commandments regarding his son's relationship with God, service to neighbors, care for strangers, whom he should marry, and many other aspects of living.

Tobiah's only question relates to how he will claim the money. Regarding all else he is either well-assured or disinterested. But he has quickly perceived potential problems to be solved in his ability to claim the money.

Getting and keeping money so often preoccupies us, even to excluding our curiousity and thinking regarding much else.

No comments: