Wednesday, January 30, 2008



Tobiah went back to tell his father Tobit what had happened. He said to him, "I have just found a man who is one of our own Israelite kinsmen!" Tobit said, "Call the man, so that I may find out what family and tribe he comes from, and whether he is trustworthy enough to travel with you, son." Tobiah went out to summon the man, saying, "Young man, my father would like to see you." When Raphael entered the house, Tobit greeted him first. Raphael said, "Hearty greetings to you!" Tobit replied: "What joy is left for me any more? Here I am, a blind man who cannot see God's sunlight, but must remain in darkness, like the dead who no longer see the light! Though alive, I am among the dead. I can hear a man's voice, but I cannot see him." Raphael said, "Take courage! God has healing in store for you; so take courage!" Tobit then said: "My son Tobiah wants to go to Media. Can you go with him to show him the way? I will of course pay you, brother." Raphael answered: "Yes, I can go with him, for I know all the routes. I have often traveled to Media and crossed all its plains and mountains; so I know every road well." (Tobit 5: 9-10)

In the Greek, the angel's "hearty greetings" can also mean "much joy," hence Tobit's bitter reply.

Angels are often - even usually - heralds of great joy: victory, new birth, a promise kept, and in this case healing to come.

Tobit does not recognize the angel and he ignores the promise of joy and health. He is, however, attentive to this stranger's ability to help claim the money.

How often have I been blind to God's gifts? How often has God offered my deepest desires, but I have been too preoccupied to notice?

May I attend to this world more carefully. May I do better to sense the spiritual as well as the physical.

Above is Raphael with Tobias (and the Archangels Michael and Gabriel as well) by Francesco Botticini.

No comments: