Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tobiah went to look for someone acquainted with the roads who would travel with him to Media. As soon as he went out, he found the angel Raphael standing before him, though he did not know that this was an angel of God. Tobiah said to him, "Who are you, young man?" He replied "I am an Israelite, one of your kinsmen. I have come here to work." Tobiah said, "Do you know the way to Media?" The other replied: "Yes, I have been there many times. I know the place well and I know all the routes. I have often traveled to Media; I used to stay with our kinsman Gabael, who lives at Rages in Media. It is a good two days' travel from Ecbatana to Rages, for Rages is situated at the mountains, Ecbatana out on the plateau." Tobiah said to him, "Wait for me, young man, till I go back and tell my father; for I need you to make the journey with me. I will, of course, pay you." Raphael replied, "Very well, I will wait for you; but do not be long." (Tobit 5: 4-8)

"As soon as he went out..." could certainly be played for laughs. Other versions suggest it may have taken Tobiah a while to find Raphael.

In any case Tobiah seeks and he finds. He does not fully understand what he has found. But he understands enough to begin the journey.

The angel's detailed response regarding his past experience encourages Tobiah.

But the angel's reality is different from ours. What he says takes two days travel required eleven days when Alexander the Great covered the same distance in a forced march.

God will give us what we need today. It is often best we not know what is ahead. We can still hope and plan, but it is more important to seek the way of God.

No comments: